A stray cat in the backyard is an all-too-frequent occurrence and very troubling. What can you do to help a homeless cat?
- Make this cat your business. If you see it in daytime it may well be a lost or an abandoned pet. It needs your help.
- Set out food and water. Cats need water, especially in winter.
- Provide shelter. Plans for easily constructed shelters are included on our Resources page. A good shelter is a life-saver in winter if the cat cannot be brought inside.
- Contact your local animal shelter to see if they have space for another stray or know about a lost cat. CARMA cannot take in strays, but your local chapter may well know of a lost pet and can offer advice or other kinds of assistance.
- Read About Feral Cats on this site to better understand the stray in your backyard.